Site type: DMV
- The earthworks of Walworth can be seen clearly from the air and are located 2km north of the deserted site of Ulnaby. The village remains are to the north of Walworth Castle, a sixteenth-century structure which may be earlier.  The earthworks show a central green with clear property boundaries to the west and north, with the houses positioned close to the green.  Hollow ways can be seen entering the village green from the north-west, north-east and east. There has been a suggestion that the earthworks to the north-east of the site may indicate further tofts.  A farmhouse has been built over part of the green and it is suggested that part of this structure incorporates the remains of a chapel dated from 1180. 
There are few records of the settlement at Walworth. The village is recorded as in decay in 1626 and in the 1666 Hearth Tax 22 people are listed, with seven of these listed as non-solvents.  By the 1880s had disappeared apart from the ruins of the chapel.  The chapel and extensive earthwork remains suggest that this site was extensive and maybe associated with an earlier manorial complex under the present castle.
Appears in the Gazetteer of Deserted Medieval Villages known in 1968.
-  Pevsner, N. and R. Williamson 1983. The Buildings of England: Durham. London: Penguin Books: 482-483.
 Green, A., E. Parkinson and M. Spufford 2006. County Durham Hearth Tax Assessment Lady Day 1666. London: British Record Society: 10, 114.
 NMR Pastscape Record No. 23760.
- Pre-1974 county:
- Historic parish:
- Present county or unitary area:
- Modern parish:
- Grid reference:
- NZ 231191
- Domesday reference:
- Domesday minimum number of individuals:
- Taxation 1291 (main):
- Not recorded
- Taxation 1291 (portions):
- Not recorded
- Lay subsidy 1334 total paid:
- Poll Tax 1377 number who paid:
- Poll Tax 1377 total paid:
- Poll Tax 1379 number who paid:
- Poll Tax 1379 total paid:
- Poll Tax 1381 number who paid:
- Poll Tax 1381 total paid:
- Lay subsidy 1524 number who paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1524 total paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1525 number who paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1525 total paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1543/4 number who paid:
- Diocesan returns 1563:
- Not recorded
- Census 1801 total population:
- 137 (Township)
- Census 1841 total population:
- 152 (Township)
- Census 1841 inhabited houses:
- E179 date and type last doc:
- 1662 May 19 hearth tax
- Alternative names:
- Presumed date of depopulation:
- NMR number:
- HER number:
- DURH 1568
- Investigation history:
- 1957 Field Visit.
1981 Field Visit.
1991 Measured Survey.
2007 Watching Brief.
- Cartographic or photographic records:
- CUCAP UZ15-20 Taken 31 May 1957.
CUCAP AQO94-96 Taken 11 January 1967.
CUCAP AQP77-82 Taken 14 January 1967.
CUCAP AWU1-6 Taken 31 January 1969.
CUCAP BAC37-42 Taken 20 November 1969.
CUCAP BLL48-51 Taken 16 January 1973.
CUCAP BRR51-54 Taken 19 November 1974.
CUCAP CHJ29-30 Taken 5 August 1978.
CUCAP CIF74-80 Taken 13 January 1979.
CUCAP CFW1-4 Taken 13 September 1979.
OS 66/220 050-51.
- Site status:
- Scheduled 1011256.
- x coordinate:
- y coordinate:
- Beresford, M.W. and J.G. Hurst (eds) 1971. Deserted Medieval Villages. London: Lutterworth.
Driver, L. 2006. The Lost Villages of England. London: New Holland: 154-155.
- See also:
- NMR Pastscape