Site type: DMV
- There has been some debate on the nature of settlement at Grindon and if there was really ever a village.  It was classified as such by Beresford, but not the VCH which claims there was never a village here. [2, 3] Beresford used the evidence of a survey of 1382 to confirm the presence of a village, but the payment here suggests a very small settlement, if any. [2, 4] There is a ruined church, the first evidence of which is in 1131, and it was rebuilt in the mid-seventeenth century . The physical remains other than the church are limited to ridge and furrow. The area has undergone heavy ploughing which may have destroyed or damaged any other archaeological remains in the area.
Appears in the Gazetteer of Deserted Medieval Villages known in 1968.
-  NMR Pastscape Record No. 25755.
 Beresford, M.W. 1954. The Lost Villages of England. London: Lutterworth: 350.
 Curtis, M. 1928. ‘Grindon’, in W. Page (ed.) A History of the Country of Durham Volume 3: 247-254. London: The St Catherine Press.
 Greenwell, W. 1857. Bishop Hatfield’s Survey. Durham: Publications of the Surtees Society 32: 167.
 Pevsner, N. and R. Williamson 1983. The Buildings of England: Durham. London: Penguin Books: 298.
- Pre-1974 county:
- Historic parish:
- Present county or unitary area:
- Modern parish:
- Grid reference:
- NZ 395255
- Domesday reference:
- Domesday minimum number of individuals:
- Taxation 1291 (main):
- Not recorded
- Taxation 1291 (portions):
- Not recorded
- Lay subsidy 1334 total paid:
- Poll Tax 1377 number who paid:
- Poll Tax 1377 total paid:
- Poll Tax 1379 number who paid:
- Poll Tax 1379 total paid:
- Poll Tax 1381 number who paid:
- Poll Tax 1381 total paid:
- Lay subsidy 1524 number who paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1524 total paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1525 number who paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1525 total paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1543/4 number who paid:
- Diocesan returns 1563:
- Census 1801 total population:
- 325 (and Thorp Thewles) (Township)
- Census 1841 total population:
- 285 (Township)
- Census 1841 inhabited houses:
- E179 date and type last doc:
- 1678 March 20 act for raising money by a poll
- Alternative names:
- Presumed date of depopulation:
- NMR number:
- HER number:
- Investigation history:
- Cartographic or photographic records:
- CUCAP UY91-92 Taken 31 May 1957.
CUCAP AQP66-67 Taken 14 January 1967.
- Site status:
- Not Scheduled
- x coordinate:
- y coordinate:
- Beresford, M.W. 1954. The Lost Villages of England. London: Lutterworth Press: 350.
Beresford, M.W. and J.G. Hurst (eds) 1971. Deserted Medieval Villages. London: Lutterworth.
- See also:
- NMR Pastscape