Site type: Shrunken
- Much of the area has seen infilling in the last 100 years, probably covering remains of any early settlement. The manor of Elton is mentioned from the tenth century.  The church structure includes twelfth-century fabric.  Excavations in 1991 revealed evidence of a medieval barn dating from the thirteenth to fifteenth century, as well as toft boundaries.  There were 21 households recorded in 1563, and 15 listed in the 1666 Hearth Tax.  On the first edition of the Ordnance Survey map from 1855 there are a number of buildings in the area and this is more of a shrunken settlement.
Appears in the Gazetteer of Deserted Medieval Villages known in 1968.
-  Brownbill, J. 1928. ‘Elton’, in W. Page (ed.) A History of the Country of Durham Volume 3: 232-235. London: The St Catherine Press.
 Nenk, B.S., S. Margeson and M. Hurley 1992. ‘Medieval Britain and Ireland in 1991’, Medieval Archaeology 36: 204-205.
 Green, A., E. Parkinson and M. Spufford 2006. County Durham Hearth Tax Assessment Lady Day 1666. London: British Record Society: 37, 130.
- Pre-1974 county:
- Historic parish:
- Present county or unitary area:
- Modern parish:
- Grid reference:
- NZ 403174
- Domesday reference:
- Domesday minimum number of individuals:
- Taxation 1291 (main):
- Taxation 1291 (portions):
- Not recorded
- Lay subsidy 1334 total paid:
- Poll Tax 1377 number who paid:
- Poll Tax 1377 total paid:
- Poll Tax 1379 number who paid:
- Poll Tax 1379 total paid:
- Poll Tax 1381 number who paid:
- Poll Tax 1381 total paid:
- Lay subsidy 1524 number who paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1524 total paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1525 number who paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1525 total paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1543/4 number who paid:
- Diocesan returns 1563:
- Census 1801 total population:
- 78 (Township)
- Census 1841 total population:
- 92 (Parish)
- Census 1841 inhabited houses:
- E179 date and type last doc:
- 1678 March 20 act for raising money by a poll
- Alternative names:
- Presumed date of depopulation:
- NMR number:
- HER number:
- TEES 635
- Investigation history:
- 1986 Survey.
1992 Geophysical Survey.
- Cartographic or photographic records:
- Higham, N. 1991. ‘Research in 1991: ii Excavation’, Medieval Settlement Research Group 6: 37-38. Plan p.37.
- Site status:
- Not Scheduled
- x coordinate:
- y coordinate:
- Beresford, M.W. and J.G. Hurst (eds) 1971. Deserted Medieval Villages. London: Lutterworth.
- See also:
- NMR Pastscape