Site type: DMV
- There are no clear visible remains of the settlement after ploughing destroyed any surface archaeology in the late 1960s.  This activity revealed remains of stone and pottery dated to the thirteenth to fifteenth century, suggesting a two row settlement.  A geophysical survey of an area close to settlement remains revealed evidence of a dense area of ditches and trial trenching found more ditches and well-preserved remains. 
The first mention of the village is in the late eleventh century. [3, 4] A chapel is recorded from the early thirteenth century.  In the fourteenth century the township of Claxton is recorded in the land holdings of the Bishop of Durham.  In the fifteenth century the village and tofts are recorded.  It has been suggested that there was a hiatus in occupation between the 1480s and 1626. 
Appears in the Gazetteer of Deserted Medieval Villages known in 1968.
-  NMR Pastscape Record No. 27013.
 Nenk, B.S., S. Margeson and M. Hurley 1994. ‘Medieval Britain and Ireland in 1993’, Medieval Archaeology 38: 197.
 Curtis, M. 1928. ‘Greatham’, in W. Page (ed.) A History of the Country of Durham. Volume 3: 242-247. London: The St Catherine Press.
 Watts, V. 2007. The Place-Names of County Durham Part 1. Nottingham: English Place-Name Society: 79.
 Greenwell, W. 1857. Bishop Hatfield’s Survey. Durham: Publications of the Surtees Society 32: 167.
 Greenwell, W. 1872. Feodarium Prioratus Dunelmensis. Durham. Publications of the Surtees Society 58: 25-26.
 Tees Archaeology HER Record No. 619.
- Pre-1974 county:
- Historic parish:
- Present county or unitary area:
- Modern parish:
- Grid reference:
- NZ 475280
- Domesday reference:
- Domesday minimum number of individuals:
- Taxation 1291 (main):
- Not recorded
- Taxation 1291 (portions):
- Not recorded
- Lay subsidy 1334 total paid:
- Poll Tax 1377 number who paid:
- Poll Tax 1377 total paid:
- Poll Tax 1379 number who paid:
- Poll Tax 1379 total paid:
- Poll Tax 1381 number who paid:
- Poll Tax 1381 total paid:
- Lay subsidy 1524 number who paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1524 total paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1525 number who paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1525 total paid:
- Lay Subsidy 1543/4 number who paid:
- Diocesan returns 1563:
- Not recorded
- Census 1801 total population:
- 42 (Township)
- Census 1841 total population:
- 52 (Township)
- Census 1841 inhabited houses:
- E179 date and type last doc:
- 1678 March 20 act for raising money by a poll
- Alternative names:
- Presumed date of depopulation:
- NMR number:
- HER number:
- TEES 619
- Investigation history:
- 1993 Geophysical Survey.
- Cartographic or photographic records:
- RAF 541/23 4335-36 Taken 16 May 1948.
- Site status:
- Not Scheduled
- x coordinate:
- y coordinate:
- Beresford, M.W. 1954. The Lost Villages of England. London: Lutterworth Press: 350.
Beresford, M.W. and J.G. Hurst (eds) 1971. Deserted Medieval Villages. London: Lutterworth.
- See also:
- NMR Pastsacpe